Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mexican Casserole

Snow Day Number 2!!!! Tonight we got to do dinner with Whitley, Sara, Rachel, Tyler and Bethany. Bethany made some delicious guacamole, and Rachel did margaritas (which were equally delicious). I was really excited about making this casserole, but it didn't turn out the best (most likely due to my modifications). I added meat to the meatless recipe, and doubled some ingredients but not others...sound like an obvious enough reason for a flop? Below is the original recipe

3/4 lb mushrooms
1 garlic clove
cayenne pepper
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
16 oz jar salsa
1 1/4 c Monterrey Jack cheese
8 corn tortillas, halved

Saute mushrooms 7 min in olive oil, add garlic and pepper for last minute and then black beans til heated through. Layer corn tortillas, mushroom/bean mixture, salsa & cheese, repeating 3 times. Throw it in the oven and bake on 400 for 10 minutes in a small casserole dish.

I might be willing to try this again...if I actually follow the recipe. For starters, I sauteed about 1.5 lbs of chicken and cut it into small pieces and also added an entire onion to the "mushroom mix". I also used a much larger casserole dish, therefore twice the tortillas, but only one jar of salsa, and 2 cups of cheese. Needless to say, I should have used more salsa and cheese, cut the chicken into smaller pieces and used a smaller casserole dish. I think if I do use this again, I will leave it meatless, as I'm sure it wouldn't seem as dried out if it was only veggies.

Luckily, we had enough guac and salsa to serve with the meal, and everyone seemed to enjoy it just fine.  We also got to have a nertz rematch from Snow Day #1, which is always a plus. Maybe my Snow Day #3 recipe will be more of a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment